Have a question? You might find the answer here. If not, feel free to get in touch!
Can I use an image?
All the images on the site are mine, unless otherwise noted. While I know this is the internet and it’s pretty hard to stop anyone from doing something they want to do, they are copyrighted and are not to be used without written permission under any circumstances.
If you see something you’d like to use either here or on my flickr page, please, ask me first. I very rarely say no.
If the image is by somebody else, please contact them for permission.
Media and PR Information
I’m always interested in new opportunities so if you think we could be a good fit to work together, please get in touch. But… before you do, please take note of the following:
- I am available for freelance food photography and writing assignments
- I do occasionally accept review samples of food or photography products if I feel my readers will find them relevant and if I am passionate about them. I will always disclose when I have been paid or provided with free product and I will always write my honest opinion.
- I am a Canadian food blogger with a large Canadian audience. If your product is not available to purchase in Canada, I will not review it or write about it.
- I prefer to limit sponsored posts on this blog (where I have been provided with free product for the purpose of a review or have been paid to write the post) to a maximum of 2/month.
- I will not reply to emails that start with “dear blogger”, “dear [insert name]” or where my name is spelled wrong (That’s Melissa with one “l” and two “s’s” and there’s no “d” on the end of Hartfiel… trust me… I’ve been spelling it for a long time).
What gear do you use?
Here’s the complete list as of right now:
- Canon EOS 5D MarkII DSLR
Canon EOS Rebel XTi DSLRHas been donated to a new photographer but was used for the first year of this blog
- Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Elph
- Canon 100mm 2.8 macro lens
- Canon 24-70 2.8L lens
Canon 18-55mm kit lens (no IS on that baby. ha!)It went with the Rebel
- Canon 50mm 1.8 lens
- Canon 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 DO IS
- Canon Speedlight 430 EXII
- Manfrotto 190XB Tripod with 496RC2 ball head
- 50mm reverse macro adapter ring
- Interfit 5 in 1 reflector 32 inch (most underrated piece of gear I own)
Kenko 58mm polarizer (only fits my kit lens so I never use it)This also moved on to a new home.
- Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home Camera Bag (carries everything except the reflector and tripod)
- Lowepro Apex 140AW Bag (when I’m going lightweight)
- Optex Photo Studio Kit (was very frustrated with this at first but then got creative with how I use it… it’s nifty but I rarely use it for food)
I use the 5D and my 100mm macro and 50mm lenses almost exclusively for food.
The other must haves for food are the reflector and my tripod. I shoot 90% of the time with natural light and I really should figure out how to make better use of my Speedlight.