Rhubarb has arrived. For a short time only!
It’s been ridiculously early this year, as has everything else. But I don’t mind because I’m tired of eating mealy apples and bananas. I am ready for fresh produce to start rolling in and a little extra variety in my refrigerator. Because I hate mealy apples. If an apple isn’t crisp and doesn’t have that satisfying juicy crunch when you bite into it, it’s just not worth it.
But I digress.
These muffins are a twist on a previous rhubarb muffin recipe that I make often. And I actually made them with the last of my frozen rhubarb from last year that I wanted to use up before I started harvesting fresh stalks from the garden. But I’ve never baked with hemp seeds before. In fact, up until six months ago, I had never even tried hemp seeds and after hearing so many of the health benefits from adding them to your diet, I wanted to see what they were like.
I’ve been tossing them into my morning green smoothies – alternating between chia and hemp. I like that hemp seeds add a certain natural nutty sweetness to the smoothies, so I thought a muffin would be a good first try for incorporating them into baking.
And as I mentioned, this is a recipe I’ve made often, except with coconut instead of hemp seeds. The difference the swap made to the flavour was very noticeable. Coconut is quite sweet when it’s toasted so I didn’t feel that any sweetness was lost but the hemp seeds did add a really nice, new flavour – a little bit nutty and earthy. I really enjoyed it and will start using them more in baking.
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup hemp seeds
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 1¼ cup chopped rhubarb
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and hemp seeds in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl beat the egg and add the oil, 2 tsp orange zest and orange juice
- Add to the flour mixture and stir until just combined (it will be lumpy)
- Fold in rhubarb gently until just combined
- Spoon batter into greased muffin tins so it's level with the rim of the tin.
- For streusel topping combine brown sugar and tbsp of orange zest - sprinkle this on top of the muffins half way through their baking time.
- Bake 25-30 minutes