My name is Melissa Hartfiel and I’m a freelance web/graphic designer, photographer and writer who happens to love food. This space lets me do all of those things in one place and that makes me happy.
What have you stumbled on?
Eyes Bigger Than My Stomach started out as a place to practice my food photography and styling and at it’s heart, that’s still what it is today. But it’s grown to include:
- food photography tips and resources
- Adobe Lightroom post processing tutorials for food photography (and photography in general)
- photo essays – usually with food as the theme or sub-theme
- occasional restaurant experiences and product reviews, if I feel they fit (if you are a PR person or brand interested in working with me, please see my FAQ page before contacting me)
I’m not a recipe developer although I do include recipes in my posts where they fit.
The Professional Stuff
I’m the owner of Fine Lime Designs, where I specialize in WordPress web design among other things. I also write a small business blog over there with all kinds of tips on blogging, social media, SEO, design goodies and all that good stuff that us bloggers like to know about. I work with a lot of small businesses and bloggers with a focus on the arts, tourism and food. You can check out my portfolio if you think you might like to work with me (yes, it’s a shameless plug!).
I photograph and style food professionally for the likes of Sharwood Foods, Tree of Life and Tourism Mexico, and others. I take photos of a lot of other things too – I can’t help it, it’s a compulsion!
I’m also 1/3 of the co-founding team of Food Bloggers of Canada with Ethan and Mardi. where we run a member based resource community for Canadian food bloggers. We are home to a happy, growing community of over 800 Canadian Food Bloggers. In April 2013 we’re hosting the first Canadian food blogging conference at Hockley Valley Resort in Ontario!
The Random Stuff
Here it is… random things about me:
- I live in Vancouver, Canada and have for over 30 years with brief stints in London, England and Vancouver Island
- I have a very
slobberylovable lab named Sam who appears here a lot
- I’m on a quest for the. best. mac and cheese. The BEST.
- I love graffiti and street art almost as much as I love photography
- I also love old signage, abstract shapes and loads of colour
- I finished NoNoWriMo in 2006 – only 2 people other than me have ever read what I wrote. It’s gonna stay that way!
- I have scars next to each eye from totally different incidents
- If I could wish to do one thing in this world really really well, it would be singing. But that ain’t happening.
- I’m a music obsessed book junkie who loves British television mysteries, art galleries and who has a warped sense of humor that nobody gets except my brother (it’s likely genetic)
- I make up words when I can’t find one that fits – you’ve been warned
- I own too many pairs of Chucks and I’m obsessed with boots… well, obsessed with shoes in general actually