Meyer Lemon Berry Squares

Cut in half meyer lemon in a pile of sugar

O. M. G.

I know what you’re thinking… could she actually be posting a recipe post???

Like I said, O. M. G, I know!

Crazy, wild wacky stuff.

meyer lemon berry bars

[pinit]

I have to tell you, I actually made these 3 weeks ago.  They’re long gone.  In fact, there are no cookies in this house.  No baked goods of any kind except for a loaf of bread and a few pieces of naan. (the bread was homemade, the naan was not).  I haven’t baked in 3 weeks.

It’s a very sad state of affairs, tempered only by the fact that I was over at friends on Friday and they had fresh baked brownies.

The Infamous Meyer Lemon

Every year, around January, I see post after post of recipes that use Meyer lemons.  The sweet lemon.  And every year I read in jealousy of all the lovely recipes for lemon curd, lemon breads, lemon cakes, lemon this, lemon that, that use Meyer lemons.  And I have to settle with just my regular old normal lemons, knowing deep down that my lemon curd is subpar because of this.

And then this year, I went to the local greengrocer to buy some veggies and lo and behold… hidden in a corner… bags of Meyer lemons!

I was so excited I started texting other food friends “OMG Kins has Meyer Lemons!!”  My responses ranged from “yeah, bought some last week” (thanks for telling me) to “Meyer what??”.  Right.

Ok, so I bought a bag and took them home (after paying for them, of course!) and promptly photographed them:

meyer lemons in a wooden box

[pinit]

They were so lovely and bright yellow! Not like normal regular yellow lemons…

I left them for a few days while I decided what to make.  It had to be something special.  You know, something that would be a treat and let the lemons shine.

bowl of blueberries and raspberries next to some lemonsI finally decided to make the my lemon strawberry bars but with blueberries and raspberries that I had frozen from the garden last summer. They’re so tasty and decadent and, having only ever made them with plain old boring regular lemons, I thought it would be fun to compare them with the Meyer lemon version.

The Verdict

Meh. They tasted exactly the same.  So much for all the fuss.  I guess my regular old lemons will do me just fine in a pinch.  Still, these were prettier to take pictures of! :)

Here’s the recipe based on my  Strawberry Lemon Bar recipe.  I did tweak it a bit to fix a few things I wasn’t too happy with last time (less sugar to compensate for the sweetness of the lemons and more flour to help solidify the custard topping a bit better).

Meyer Lemon berry bars cut up on parchment paper

Meyer Lemon Berry Squares

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 24
Ingredients
  • 1½ cups flour
  • ½ cup of oats
  • ½ cup of powdered sugar
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 1½ sticks (3/4 cup) cold, unsalted butter
  • 1 tbsp Meyer lemon zest
  • ¾ cup frozen or fresh blueberries (more if you want to use some as garnish)
  • ¾ cup frozen or fresh raspberries
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 cup freshly squeeze Meyer lemon juice
  • 4 tbsp flour
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest
Instructions
  1. Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper. Leave enough paper on the sides so that you can use it to lift the bars out of the pan after cooking.
  2. In a large bowl whisk together flour, oats, powdered sugar, and salt.
  3. Cut in butter in small chunks and add vanilla and lemon zest.
  4. Using your hands, work the butter into the dry mixture until it looks like loose dirt. You can use a food processor for this step but I prefer to use my hands.
  5. Spread the base mixture evenly in the pan and press it down with your hands until you have a firm base and the put it in the freezer for 30 minutes
  6. While the base chills, mix the berries with the ¼ cup of sugar and let stand.
  7. Preheat oven to 350F
  8. Whisk together eggs and then add 1⅓ cups sugar, flour, and lemon zest and continue to whisk.
  9. When well combined, add the lemon juice and continue to mix.
  10. Remove base from the freezer and bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
  11. When done, remove from oven and immediately spread the berries over the surface, reserving the juice/sugar mixture.
  12. Add the remaining juice and sugar to the lemon mixture and stir. Pour over the base and berries.
  13. Lower the oven temperature to 325F and return the pan to the oven and bake until the center of the lemon bars doesn’t jiggle anymore. This took almost 30 minutes with my oven and the other recipes called for about 20 minutes so keep an eye on it once you hit the 20 minute mark.
  14. Remove from oven and let completely cool. Slice and sprinkle with powdered sugar, lemon zest and blueberries before serving.
  15. I made 24 small bars but you could easily make 12-16 large bars.

Photography Tips

No photo tips this week because I took the photos over three weeks ago and I didn’t make notes.  I only vaguely remember what I did.  I do know that the box of lemons was shot very late in the day – around 4pm.  But it worked really well for the photo.  They were backlit by the window and there was no glare because it was already twilight.

I also remember that the cut up lemon was shot with a diffuser held up to the left, against the light, and with a reflector to the right to cut down on shadows – it was quite a bright day that day.

, , , , , , ,

21 Responses to Meyer Lemon Berry Squares

1. Tricia @ {every}nothing wonderful February 6, 2012 at 8:28 PM #

I am a meyer lemon obsessive. If there was meyer lemon rehab, I would be in it right now. Lemon bars are my sweets downfall as well – so yeah, add the two together and you pretty much have my perfect dessert – so I am SUPER glad to know they were just meh together…I’ll save my meyer lemons for everything else! Did I mention I’ve been begging for a meyer lemon tree? I didn’t? Well, I have. Citrus…gooooood…

• Melissa February 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM #

know what’s funny? I’ve seen meyer lemon trees for sale here for a few years (not sure how well they’d actually grow) but this is the first year I’ve actually seen the lemons themselves for sale. I love pretty much any kind of lemon dessert – something very refreshing about them, no matter how rich they are!

2. Michelle February 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM #

I have to try these Meyer lemon thingies now :-) I make this really lovely lemon ice cream from David Lebovitz’s book, and I bet Meyer lemons would just make it zing.

But until then my ordinary lemons are going to have to do. And I am totally making this recipe. Its got the lemon to satisfy husband and child and custard to keep me happy. Happy family recipe here :-)

• Melissa February 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM #

I have one lemon left and I’m going to use it for a dressing of some kind, I think. see if that makes it easier for the taste to come out. I’ll let you know!

3. emvandee February 7, 2012 at 2:10 AM #

Well, they’re very pretty, if nothing else! And probably just perfect for February.

• Melissa February 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM #

yeah, something about Jan/Feb that makes me want lemons – they’re cheerful and feel light and clean after all the overindulgence of December.

4. Olivia February 7, 2012 at 3:37 AM #

Those look AMAZING. I am totally berry loving these days – and I always love lemon!

• Melissa February 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM #

Thanks! lemon and berries always make a good combo!

5. Judy@Savoring Today February 7, 2012 at 8:32 AM #

I loved them so much the first time I found them, they inspired the lemon logo for my blog…they are happy little fruit that make recipes sing. :)

• Melissa February 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM #

lemons are always cheerful!

6. Stephanie February 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM #

I had the same reaction when I saw meyer lemons at Superstore here in Calgary! I was all “finally! I can make all the things that Martha Stewart makes!” but I didn’t buy them yet.

Those bars look so so good, I’m totally ready for spring and berry flavors

• Melissa February 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM #

lol! I should’ve texted you! you’d have understood!

7. clairetweet February 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM #

I have never seen, felt or sniffed a Meyer lemon! They look so purdy though and the squares look fab. I shall have to track some down. I often find twilight turns out the best photos.

• Melissa February 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM #

twilight is fantastic as long as you use your tripod! I love the cool blue tones it adds to everything! good luck on your search!

8. sharon from Layers & Layers February 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM #

Great photo’s … sorry they didn’t float your boat like you had hoped. Good to know you’re not really missing anything, we seldom are :)

• Melissa February 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM #

oh don’t get me wrong – the bars were still super tasty. I guess after all the hype I just thought there would be something remarkably different about them. Maybe it wasn’t the right recipe!

9. Cristina February 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM #

I’m puckering just thinking about Meyers. Lovely post, Melissa – your images are so colorful and vibrant. Love these meyer lemon berry squares …nicely done. :)

10. Spicie Foodie February 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM #

Hi Melissa,

Every January I feel the same way about Meyer lemons. So I’m kinda relieved that it turns out I’m not missing too much :) But your squares look mouthwatering and I’m sure tasted amazing! I love the lemon photos- gorgeous!

11. Iza February 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM #

I absolutely love your images of lemons- first and the third. I am quite tempted to recreate the first one- the bright yellow orange stands out great agains black background, and the sugar just added that much of the interest. Lovely composition.
    I was also sufficiently intrigued with your lack of photo info, that I downloaded one image (I promise, I deleted it afterwards) and opened it in Photoshop to see if there is no metadata embedded in it. To my utter surprise, it was stripped from all of information. I wonder how you do post your images to your blog that it removes all this info- I am sure WordPress doesn’t do it. Unless it is intentional on your part…

• Melissa February 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM #

Well that’s very interesting to find out! I host about 95% of my images on flickr, not wordpress. So if you click on most of them, it will take you to the flickr image where you can see all the EXIF data. I didn’t realize that if somebody downloaded one straight from the post that the data was stripped. Not sure I like that! I may need to rethink things.

But yes, if you click through to flickr, click on Appearance and choose view EXIF data, you can see everything :)

And thank you for the kind words!

12. kylie February 23, 2012 at 5:54 PM #

YUMMY! that sugar int he pic is really getting my mouth watering.