Tomato, Sausage and Goat Cheese Tart

Tomato sausage and cheese tartIf you follow this blog with any kind of regularity, then you know that I have a love/hate relationship with pastry.

Love eating it.

Hate making it.

I’m a decent baker but pie crust eludes me completely.  So, I buy it.  The two shell yellow box from Tenderflake.  It’s fast, easy and has never failed me.

Until now.

I think I got ambitious and greedy and tried to get fancy.  It was a disaster. In fact, the only reason I’m posting this tart recipe is, the filling was a-maaaaaz-ing and… the pictures are pretty! :)

Roasting tomatoes

tomatoes seasoned and ready for roasting

You see, I bought a fancy flan pan way back at the beginning of the summer – the kind where the bottom pushes up so you can remove the tart from the pan with beautiful sides intact. (also, this is easier said than done when you are a total spaz like me, but whatever, right?  Right.)

I thought I would put the fake Tenderflake pastry in the fancy pan.  So, I tried that but, one shell wasn’t enough.

Being the really smart person that I am (ahem…), I thought I would take the second shell in the box and mush it up with the first shell into one big pastry ball, roll it out and line the pan.

Right.

Well, lets just say, a lot of flour, a lot of pastry stuck to the counter and rolling pin and a lot of piecing bits together later, I had something that resembled a flan pan lined with pastry.

mini tomato sausage tart

the baby one actually wasn't half bad

I filled it all up with roasted tomatoes, goat cheese, farmer’s sausage and parmesan, baked it and…  well, like I said, the filling was amazing.  The pastry was too thick, too dense and felt like eating really heavy sand.  Very unfortunate because I think otherwise, it would have been a fantastic tart.  I wound up scraping out the filling of the second half of the tart into a bowl and eating it that way.  Sigh.

I did use a small amount of left over pastry to make a little bitty ramekin tart and that actually worked really well.  The pastry was still lousy but there was a lot less of it so it wasn’t so disappointing.

Oh well… it happens, right?  I’m gonna get back on the horse next week though and make apple pie.  No fancy pie plate this time though.  It can stay in it’s tinfoil one.  Who needs elegance anyway?

Tomato, sausage, goat cheese tart

it LOOKS oh so yummy

This recipe requires that you roast the tomatoes before making the tart and if you are looking for a recipe, Spicie Foodie has a great roasted tomato one on her blog (which I used) and she has some great recipes to use up any extras you might have.

5.0 from 3 reviews

Tomato, Sausage and Goat Cheese Tart
Author:
Recipe type: Main
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

Serves: 4

Ingredients
  • enough pastry for one pie plate
  • enough roasted tomato pieces to cover the pie plate (I used about 18 small tomato halves)
  • 225g goat cheese
  • 2 cups of sliced farmer’s sausage
  • ¼ cup of freshly chopped basil and oregano
  • ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese

Instructions
  1. preheat oven to 375F
  2. line pie plate with pastry
  3. spread (carefully) goat cheese evenly over the inside of the crust. This can easily tear at the pastry if you’re not careful
  4. cover goat cheese with the tomato pieces
  5. follow with a layer of the sliced sausage
  6. sprinkle chopped herbs and grated cheese over the top
  7. you can season with additional salt and pepper or garlic but if you’ve followed the roasted tomato recipe I’ve linked to, you likely will find that to be overkill
  8. bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until the pastry is golden

Notes
Roasted tomatoes can be made up to 2-3 days in advance and stored in the fridge. You could also easily make this tart with puff pastry too.

Food Photography

The photos turned out remarkably well and the only post processing I did on them was contrast, clarity and sharpening.  The tomatoes ready for roasting was straightened and cropped a little bit.  The light came in from the window on the left and was reflected by white foam board on the right.  It was an overcast day so I was able to shoot without any diffusor.

, , , ,

22 Responses to Tomato, Sausage and Goat Cheese Tart

1. Michelle September 30, 2011 at 7:28 PM #

I absolutely ADORE that first picture. Those tomatoes don’t look real… just horribly gorgeous and I can imagine once I start eating one I wouldn’t be able to stop. The filling looks pretty decadent too, and I can imagine that it would be a lovely late summer meal with a salad and a glass of white.

OK, here’s a tip for pastry. Go to the store and buy a three pack of Crisco. Then use the recipe on the card enclosed. Voila! Perfect pastry every single time… its my guilty secret :-)

• Melissa September 30, 2011 at 7:40 PM #

i know, they almost look like the colour was photoshopped, don’t they? For some reason, I have really good luck photographing tomatoes and this year the cherry ones were just perfect right off the vine. and sooo sweet. Still have loads coming in. We haven’t had a really cool night yet so they just keep going.

2. Ethan September 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM #

As always, terrific photos, tomatoes just ask to be photographed, don’t they?
    Good luck back on the horse next week!

• Melissa October 1, 2011 at 8:36 AM #

Thx E. It’s my never fail sour cream apple pie up next. It just has to work!

3. Rhonda September 30, 2011 at 9:00 PM #

I love that your crappy crust making but your great photography still makes me want to eat this! I struggle with pastry but I struggle even more with great photography. Thanks for sharing!

• Melissa October 1, 2011 at 8:37 AM #

lol. thanks Rhonda

4. Spicie Foodie October 1, 2011 at 3:35 AM #

Hi Melissa, Too bad about the flan pan not working out but quite honestly the name and ingredients had my mouth watering. Not to mention your gorgeous photos. What a great idea of ingredients to combine, will have to try it out very soon.
    P.S. Thanks for the link :)

• Melissa October 1, 2011 at 8:38 AM #

The filling was good. Definitely worth giving it another go. And your roasted tomato recipe was the best one I’ve ever done. So flavourful!

5. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite October 1, 2011 at 5:30 AM #

This looks wonderful Melissa and even if it didn’t taste great, well the pics are wonderful! Did you know President’s Choice makes a wonderful roll-out puff pastry? Not quite as fab as the ones you get in France that are already in a circle shape but pretty darned good substitution for making your own… You should try that sometime but in the meantime, I agree – the yellow box cannot go wrong!

• Melissa October 1, 2011 at 8:40 AM #

Actually, Tenderflake makes a roll out puff pastry too. That’s what I usually use and it’s also never failed me. StupidStore gives me hives so I hardly ever go in there so I don’t use President’s Choice stuff often but I will look for it next time I go.

6. Cath October 1, 2011 at 5:46 AM #

>pie crust eludes me completely. So, I buy it.
    Aha! It looked too perfect to be true… ;-)
    I hate making pie crust with a vengeance. My last attempt almost ended up in the garbage bin, because I was throwing a major temper tantrum.

• Melissa October 1, 2011 at 8:41 AM #

oh I had a temper tantrum… believe it. lol. And never judge a dish by its photo – if that was the case, McDonald’s would make the best burgers! lol

7. Silvia October 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM #

Lovely pictures!

I usually make my own crust, after some disappointing experiences with store bought ones. Only now I found a crust that seems to work… an organic spelt one.

8. renee@sweetsugarbean October 2, 2011 at 1:19 PM #

Pastry used to scare the bejeezus out of me too, until I finally bit the bullet and just practiced, practiced and practiced some more. Some results were better than others, but when one is eating tarts and pies, there are no complaints! Lovely photos, and I appreciate the little photo story at the end of the post. Good luck with your next attempt!

9. Lorraine October 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM #

I’d say try making your tart dough! Jack Bishop’s Italian Vegetarian has an easy, nearly foolproof food processor version: when it comes together, it’s ready for the fridge. He rolls it out, but I also use Jamie Oliver’s approach of slicing the dough and then fitting it into the pan like puzzle pieces, then smoothing it out. Your tart looks so amazing you should be proud of the crust, too! (Oh, Jack Bishop also has a dough that has basil in it, which would be great with your recipe!)

10. torviewtoronto October 8, 2011 at 7:52 PM #

delicious looking tart fabulously done and photographed
    regards Akheela

11. Jodi October 9, 2011 at 8:32 PM #

made it and really enjoyed it! We didn’t have farmer’s sausage, so we used bratwurst which I took out of the casing and precooked and sprinkled in the pie crust. I didn’t have fresh herbs either, but it all still tasted awesome! The recipe for roastig tomatoes is also a keeper for me! Thanks for all the beautiful pics, the great advice and your witty sense of writing…oh yeah, and the yummy recipes!

• Melissa October 10, 2011 at 8:07 PM #

awww… thanks Jodi! I really appreciate that :)

12. Charlotte October 10, 2011 at 3:25 PM #

It looks fantastic, i was wondering whether the filling was dry? or moist from the tomatoes?

• Melissa October 10, 2011 at 8:05 PM #

It’s quite moist – it was just the pastry that was dry.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. How To Roast Tomatoes, Oven Roasted Tomatoes - October 1, 2011

[...] Tomato, Sausage and Goat Cheese Tart by Melissa of Eyes Bigger Than My Stomach [...]

2. General Life Update…If You’re Interested… « Dan's Good Side - October 1, 2011

[...] Of Canada. Set up by three dedicated, as well as prolific, food bloggers Mardi, Ethan, and Melissa. This site is meant to be a hub for all Canadian food bloggers. A place where you can share [...]