Rustic Peach and Plum Tart

fruits of summer

I didn’t realize how long it had been since I’ve done an actual recipe post!  The truth is I just haven’t been in the kitchen much lately at all.  But, we had a little family BBQ on Saturday so I thought I would use up some of the local fruit sitting in my fridge – peaches and plums – and make a rustic tart. A plum/peach combo got some raised eyebrows at first but, it was gobbled up very quickly.

This weekend was our warmest one this  year, but that’s not saying much.  It’s been a cruddy summer.  It hit 25C on the weekend.  How sad is that when 25 feels too hot because you haven’t had a chance to acclimatize to summer?  But it was very muggy – it’s a muggy heat.  Yeah… that’s it… a muggy heat.

I’m NOT a morning person. I can’t stress that enough…  we just don’t see eye to eye.  I really can’t fathom how people can be so cheery in the morning.  And talking… what is this talking business at 7 or 8am??  (I don’t recognize anything between 2AM and 7AM – it’s a time void).  There’s no talking!! It’s like Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own:

Because there’s no crying in baseball. THERE’S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying!

Exactly.  There is no talking in the morning.  No talking.

that early morning light on my peaches and plum

But, I wanted to get my oven on and off before my south east facing kitchen turned into a furnace.  So, I got up at 8 (well come on… I’m not going to do anything ridiculous here!) and turned on CBC Radio 2 and rolled out pastry.  It was strangely peaceful.  The dog and my dad (who lives with me) were both still asleep and the  sun was streaming in the window, still too low in the sky to be too hot.  It gave a whole different light to my early photos (one I’m not very skilled at dealing with, given all of the above commentary on mornings…)

Peach Plum Tart ready for the oven

puff pastry, cream cheese and sliced fruit – easy peasy

This is a very easy tart to make.  It uses puff pastry, which you to roll out and bake while you slice your fruit.  Once it’s just started to turn golden, you take it out of the oven, spread a thin layer of cream cheese over top and then arrange your fruit mixture.  It will work for almost any type of fruit and if you want to make a savory tart, you can easily do so by using tomatoes, basil, switching the cheese up (goat cheese is a great option), etc.  For a great savory option check out my rustic tomato goat cheese tart.

Rustic Peach Plum Tart sliced in pieces in the pan

The phyllo gives it a haphazard sort of rustic feel

Once it came out of the oven, I sliced it up, put it away for the BBQ and slipped one corner piece in a little container, woke Sammy up, put him in the truck and we drove down to the river at Deas Island, went for a walk and then sat and watched the tide come in while I ate my piece of tart and he had a dog biscuit.

Maybe mornings aren’t totally horrible after all…

What’s that?  Make it a habit?  ummm… yeah… I don’t think so… haha.

three slices of a peach plum tart waiting to be eaten

it disappears quickly

Rustic Peach and Plum Tart

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Recipe type: Dessert
Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
  • 1 package of puff pastry thawed
  • ⅓ cup sugar plus 2 tsp for sprinkling
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tbsp cream cheese, the spreadable kind. Stir it up well so it's very easy to spread
  • 2 large plums, pitted and sliced thinly
  • 2 large peaches, pitted and sliced thinly
  • 2 tbsp of seedless jam or jelly, warmed and liquified
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425F
  2. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured work surface to a 12 x 14 inch rectangle. Trim the edges to make them even if you want, but I prefer the imperfect untrimmed version – looks more ‘rustic’!
  3. Place the pastry on a parchment lined baking sheet. Use a sharp paring knife to score the dough to form a 1 inch border. Use a fork to prick the dough inside the border every ½ inch.
  4. Sprinkle the border with 2 tsp of sugar. Refrigerate until slightly firm, about 10 minutes (you can leave it in the fridge up to a day, covered with plastic wrap)
  5. Bake chilled dough until puffed and golden brown, 10 – 15 minutes.
  6. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, gently toss peach and plum slices with 1 tbsp of flour and the remaining ⅓ cup of sugar and salt.
  7. Remove baked pastry from oven when it’s puffed and golden brown and, with a fork, press dough inside border (it will be very poofy!) to make it level. Spread, very carefully, the cream cheese in a thin layer inside the border (the softer the cheese, the better).
  8. Arrange the fruit and its mixture either in rows on top of the pastry or, for a more haphazard look, pile it on top and then spread it out with your hands until even.
  9. Bake, loosely tented with foil, until fruit has softened. This can take between 10 and 20 minutes depending on your oven so check it regularly from 10 minutes on. Remove from oven.
  10. Brush the tart border and the fruit with the warm jelly and let cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes. To serve cut into pieces
  11. I brushed the jelly on the tart border and the fruit before removing the tart from the oven. I turned the oven to broil and let it cook for another minute – just long enough to get a nice caramelized glaze but not long enough to burn!

Updated Sept 8, 2012. Editor’s Note:  There was an error in the original recipe where salt was omitted from the ingredient listing.  This has since been corrected.  Salt is not necessary for the final product but a small pinch will help heighten the flavour of the peaches. There has also been some confusion between which type of pastry to use – I used puff pastry, not phyllo.

Comments

1. says

I am so with you about that whole morning person thing. No talking, no nothing. If you could see me now, you see that I am pointing to the top of my big mug of coffee. Now I am going aaaaall the way down. And THIS is when I would advice you to consider saying ‘morning’ to me. You still cannot be 100% sure to get an answer, but at least I won’t throw a slice of toast on your head. Probably. Better wait another hour.

Your tarte looks delish! I totally see me preparing that. Just not before noon. No.

Tobias

2. says

Mornings are for sissies. Real people stay up late and sleep in. I agree with the no talking, especially if it’s something I really need to absorb or pay attention too. Bur if I were to get up early and make a tart, I would pick this tart!

• Melissa says

yes! I’m a night owl. I do my best work between 3pm and 11pm. I love working at night when it’s dark and everything is quiet. I focus so much better!

3. says

Melissa, It’s absolutely gorgeous! Neil and I subscribe to the “no talking” theory in the morning (except to the cat but she doesn’t talk back) but so many people I know are shocked by this. I am glad we see eye to eye! In any case, if you served me this in the morning, I wouldn’t be chatting anyway, I would be devouring it!

• Melissa says

yes, Sam is not a morning dog either. He happily sleeps in past 8am without bothering me at all. we are very sympathetic to one another. lol.

4. says

Oh this looks yummie!

Something to try! I think I have everything at home (a different pastry… a spelt tart pastry, but I’m sure this works as well)

5. says

Peaches and plums sounds like a delicious combination to me. Your summer weather sounds like what we’ve had, it feels like we just skipped over summer and only had spring. I’m with you about the waking up early. But during the summer or spring it is nice to wake up early and enjoy the day before it gets too hot. Your tart looks delicious and the perfect breakfast:)

• Melissa says

it’s not AS bad in the summer when the weather is lovely and warm. But come fall/winter, and I wake up hearing the rain that we get all winter… I just want to curl up further under the duvet!

6. says

Mornings? What’s that again? I hear ya Melissa. I cannot stand mornings, never have. My punishment is a toddler that is up and raring to go at 7 AM. Yes, 7 AM. Luckily we have TV. Did I tell you I love that TV?

I love the ease of that tart, and I can see it going down brilliantly at a party or two. Thanks for sharing.

7. paige says

I am getting ready to assemble this tart.. As I gathered the ingredients it appears the recipe says puff pastry in some places & phyllo in others. Sorry to be such a “fuss budget” but want to be sure I don’t screw up.
    It looks like puff & you do mention the first baking it puffs up; I going with the puff….. maybe it doesn’t even matter… It looks amazing & I can’t wait to try it!

• Melissa says

Ah you’re right, I do mention both and you can use either one. I used puff because it’s easier (just roll it out). Phyllo (depending, I suppose, on the brand you use) requires all the folding and layering and I’m lazy. But, either one could work.

8. paige says

Thx! Did go with the puff.This was a great recipe! Used orange marmalade for the jam & the little rind pieces looked neat on the fruit. I also whipped up a bowl of whipped cream with some Grand Marnier for coffee & it worked great paired up with the tart & of course some whipped cream ended up on the tart…. tummy love! THX! FYI- found this when I searched on Taste Spotting my go to menu planner.

• Melissa says

oh phew! I’m so glad it worked out and that you liked it. I used raspberry jam this time but I’ve also used apricot and that’s really good too – it so easy to make so many variations of this with different fruits and jams!

9. says

I have tons of peaches in my refrigerator waiting for me to do something with them. I came across this recipe and this is what i am giong to try. I love the simplicity of it. Let you know how it goes. Love your pictures.

10. Alex says

VERY VERY UNCLEAR DIRECTIONS!!! Got this as a pin on Pinterest and came to this site. The introduction to this recipe rambles on a bit about Mornings, i don’t care about that I want to hear your tips for making this recipe. In your rambling you mention that this recipe uses phyllo pastry, it does NOT!!! It uses puff pasty, 2 VERY different things!!! I tried this using the phyllo you mentioned (figuring you had used this with success, sadly this was not the case) it was AWFUL, the crust could not hold the topping and it all slid off. The phyllo was not right! Also I discovered while making the “filling” it says to add salt but the ingredients list does not contain a measure of salt in it!!!! The filling was tasty (which is the only reason this recipe got a second star) but over all your blog about this dish was VERY unhelpful!!!!

• Melissa says

i’m so sorry you had a hard time with this recipe and yes, you are right, I was unclear and the salt was missing. Nobody, including myself had noticed this up til now so thank you for pointing it out! I’ve since edited the post and the recipe so hopefully others won’t have the same problem.
      However, as to your point about the introduction to this recipe, this is not a recipe blog, it’s my personal blog about “food, photography and my creative life” – it even says that at the top of the page. And for that reason, I’m free to write whatever I choose :)

• Heidi says

Melissa, I can’t wait to try this recipe! I found it on Pinterest and your combination of my two favourite stone fruits sounds divine.
        I for one enjoyed your ‘ramblings’ and can’t believe the nerve of those who feel the need to criticise the contents of a personal blog. Don’t like what you are reading? Easy… Either scroll down to the recipe, or move along :)

• Jo says

I was taught to read a recipe in its entirely before attempting it; I was also taught to ask questions where there was uncertainty. Furthermore, I was taught to be KIND to others. I felt compelled to reply to this post, because I found it very tasteless. Someone chooses to share a recipe with the rest of us, and there were errors/omissions. We’re human, and it occurs. The proper response to this would be a polite query, not a rude rating/review. Treat others as you wish to be treated.

I made this today, and it turned out wonderfully. I used a vegan cream cheese, as we don’t eat dairy. I used black plums and white peaches, and for the jelly, used a confit of rose petals. For the sugar, I used a rose petal-infused variety. I also sprinkled some crushed dried rose petals on the top. This is a nice, simple recipe that yields lovely results. Thank you for sharing it.

Trackbacks