Chocolate Salted Caramel Cookies

requisite Valentine-y type photo for this time of year.

There are three things in this world that I love: Chocolate, Caramel and Salt.  Well, ok, there’s more than three things.  But for the purpose of this post let’s pretend that there are only three things.  And how awesome is it when you get to combine all three things you love into one thing?  And how even awesom-er is it when that thing is a cookie???

I know! It’s pretty superamazingfantabulous awesome, that’s what.

soft Werther's caramels, sea salt and chocolate

I’m a salted caramel junkie.  That salted caramel hot chocolate at Starbucks…. mmmmmm.  Mmmmhmmm.  Salted caramel sauce? It should be poured on just about everything.

So you can imagine how happy I was when I stumbled upon a recipe for Chocolate Caramel Cookies with Sea Salt over on Two Peas and Their Pod.  Josh and Maria have the most amazing cookie recipes on their site.  If you remember, that’s where I got the wonderful and so pretty Pomegranate White Chocolate Chunk Cookie recipe from.

sprinkle of salt and they're ready for the oven

The recipe was a little different – it used plain yogurt instead of eggs, which I really liked and I think I will experiment with in a few other cookie recipes.  My sea salt also seemed to be a very fine grade and I think the photos might have looked better if I’d used Kosher  salt instead but that might have been overkill on the saltiness.

I doubled the original recipe, because, let’s face it, 24 cookies don’t last around here at all.  I need substantial batches to feel like I’ve used my time wisely!  It worked out just fine.  I used Werther’s soft caramels because it was that or Kraft caramels and believe it or not, the Werther’s were cheaper and were big enough that I was able to cut them in half before rolling them into the cookie balls.

Another interesting little tidbit… I use silpats on my cookie sheets.  I have two – an original silpat that I’ve had for years, and a newer one from Epicure that I bought at a party a year and a half ago.  The cookies baked on the original silpat turned out perfectly.  Almost all of the ones I did on the Epicure silpat type pad leaked caramel.  I did two batches on each sheet and the same thing happened both times.  I’ve never been happy with the Epicure mat and I wasn’t able to find it on their website so I’m wondering if they discontinued it.  It never stays flat in the baking process – always puffs up.  I’m thinking of tossing it and investing in a second real silpat – they really are wonderful.

All ready to be eaten - these are two bite cookies.

The cookies were delicious – the caramel stayed all gooey and soft in the middle and the the salt is a perfect contrast to the sweetness of the caramel and the richness of the chocolate.  Definitely worth that extra little effort to pop the caramels inside each one!  And then I made a big mug of tea, curled up in a chair and read my book with a couple few of these to munch on.

And then I took the dog for a hike – these really don’t fit into my Operation Combat Winter Fatter-itis plan.  (that should be said with a big echo behind it) But they’re too good to pass up.

Photography

All images were shot in AV mode.

Image 1: 1/20, f3.2, 50mm, ISO 400, +2/3 exposure compensation

The image was backlit from my south facing kitchen window and I used a piece of white foam board to the right of the scene to add some fill light.  Post process was a minor contrast/vibrance tweak and standard sharpening.

Image 2: 1/40, f3.2, 50mm, ISO 400, +2/3 exposure compensation

The image was backlit from the south window – no reflector was used.  Post process included split toning with a very subtle bump up of red tones on highlights and blue tones on shadows.  Small adjustments were made to contrast, clarity and standard sharpening.

Image 3: 1/125, f3.2, 50mm, ISO 400, -2/3 exposure compensation

The image was lit to the left from the window with no reflector. Post process included split toning with a very subtle bump up of red tones on highlights and blue tones on shadows.  Small adjustments were made to contrast, clarity and standard sharpening and a minor crop was done to improve the composition.

Image 4: 1/20, f3.2, 50mm, ISO 400, +2/3 exposure compensation

The image was lit to the right from the south window – again, no reflector.  Post process included split toning with a very subtle bump up of red tones on highlights and blue tones on shadows.  Small adjustments were made to contrast, clarity and standard sharpening.

In my next post I’ll do a quick tips and tricks on the difference a reflector can make to a shot using this photo shoot.  It’ll give you an idea of the very different look a very simple and inexpensive tool can lend to a photo.

, , , , , , ,

34 Responses to Chocolate Salted Caramel Cookies

1. Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM #

I made cookies that were very, very similar a couple of weeks ago. But they didn’t have caramel in them! What a fantastic idea. I’m totally doing that next time. mmm

• Melissa February 8, 2011 at 1:03 PM #

caramel makes everything better.

2. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 8, 2011 at 1:13 AM #

Chocolate, caramel and salt are three of my favorites as well, alone or in combination! These cookies look dangerously tempting with that oozing caramel goodness, yum.

• Melissa February 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM #

i know, it’s impossible to eat just one. I’ve tried!

3. Medeja February 8, 2011 at 2:38 AM #

Mmm. these should taste really good, with that caramel inside :)

• Melissa February 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM #

it’s like a nice little surprise in the middle of an every day cookie!

4. briarrose February 8, 2011 at 6:22 PM #

Man those look incredible….wonderful combination of flavors. I need these…really…need them.

• Melissa February 12, 2011 at 11:21 PM #

lol… i know. I knew as soon as I saw them I needed them!

5. Amanda @ Easy Peasy Organic February 12, 2011 at 12:03 AM #

Oh yum. I’ve been meaning to get onto that good salt on sweet things trend … yes, yes.

And I love that you’ve given photography tips! I’ll definitely be reading through *all* of those! :)

• Melissa February 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM #

great – I hope they’re helpful!

6. Beauty & the Feast February 12, 2011 at 6:44 AM #

Such an elegant cookie. These look absolutely scrumptious!!

7. Kristi Rimkus February 12, 2011 at 9:03 PM #

My best friend buys salted caramels all the time. She’d love these!

Kristi

8. Jenn@eatcakefordinner February 12, 2011 at 9:27 PM #

These sound incredible. I have had a hard time finding sea salt (ok I really only looked at two stores), so I’m not sure where to buy it?

• Melissa February 12, 2011 at 11:21 PM #

Hi Jenn,
      I buy it at the grocery store. It’s usually in a box with the regular table salt and kosher salt. It’s a tiny bit coarser than table salt but not as coarse as kosher salt. Hope you manage to track it down.

9. Anne February 13, 2011 at 3:49 AM #

Hi!
    I really want to make these, my boyfriend loves anything with chocolate but I couldn’t find soft caramel, so have bought some chocolate covered chewy caramels, but now I am worried that the cookies will have to be eaten warm, otherwise the caramel won’t be soft…
    What are your cookies like when they’re cold? Is the caramel still soft in the middle?

• Melissa February 13, 2011 at 8:26 AM #

Hi Anne,
      Yes, the caramel stayed soft and gooey after they cooled. I did freeze a small batch and I found those didn’t soften up as well when they thawed – still soft but not as gooey.

10. Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls February 14, 2011 at 8:50 AM #

Those looks ridiculously, sinfully delicious! Oh my!!!!

Great blog; happy I found you!

11. Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls March 9, 2011 at 10:09 PM #

First of all, this looks delightful! I’m bookmarking these right now – a must make! Second, love that you put all your photo info – such a huge help to us learning photographers! Thank you so much!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

• Melissa March 18, 2011 at 9:58 AM #

hi! glad you find the photo info helpful :)

12. Kate @ Diethood.com March 18, 2011 at 8:45 AM #

Holy yumminess!!! WOW. I’m about to lick my screen… chocolate, caramel, salt… love this combination! Great great recipe… thank you so much for sharing… I can’t wait to give these a try!

13. Tes March 19, 2011 at 6:15 AM #

I finally have something cool to bake this weekend :) My whole family will love this :)

14. Baking Serendipity March 19, 2011 at 10:12 PM #

I love salted caramels too and these cookies look so, so good!

15. Matthew TK Taylor July 26, 2011 at 2:55 PM #

Hi Melissa, wow do those cookies look absolutely divine, and you’re a great photographer of them too. I adore photography, and just got myself a Canon 7D, so your little notes of exactly what you’re using to take each shot are really helpful. I usually do pohotgraphy of events such as protests and parties, so this kind of carefully planned shot is almost alien to me :)

Found you through Strawberry Sue, who is with us at Livefyre, and just clicked through to see what you were all about. Just wondering if you’d ever thought of using a social commenting system such as livefyre before? All our users really love the software and it does help increase engagement and share your cookies with the whole internet :) You can find us a livefyre.com or feel free to contact me personally :)

Best,

Matthew

16. Jackie Gordon Singing Chef August 16, 2011 at 8:10 AM #

These look FAB. I made a ton of caramels last year, but I did not consider baking them into a cookie — GENIUS! I can’t wait until it cools down and I can try this!

17. Kristen September 6, 2011 at 8:32 AM #

I make a similar cookie using Rolos, but this? Seems so rich and decadent. Yum!!

18. BigFatBaker November 11, 2011 at 3:51 PM #

Wow… I am drooling after staring at your pictures. This recipe sounds amazing, and I just might have to try it for the Food Blogger Cookie Swap!

19. Ally January 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM #

Holy CRAP. I think my brain just exploded. Why have I never thought of incorporating these flavours in a cookie?? Genius.

20. Allison February 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM #

Shared this post on my facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/FrenchWhisk
    I adore your writing and the fact you give detailed notes on your photography makes me deliriously happy. Had to share you with my facebook foodie friends. Thanks for such a great post!

21. Maureen February 20, 2012 at 8:49 PM #

These are inviting me to bite them and taste that caramel ooziness hidden inside. I have to make these.

22. Choc Chip Uru May 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM #

Talk about your perfect cookies, these look amazing – remind me never ever to look at your blog before lunch again :P

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

23. Liliana December 22, 2012 at 7:09 AM #

I also love chocolate, caramel and salt! These cookies look amazing. I will be making them during the holidays!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Chocolate Salted Caramel Cookies | Eyes Bigger Than My Stomach by Melissa Hartfiel -- Topsy.com - February 7, 2011

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Maria Lichty and wenderly, Melissa Hartfiel. Melissa Hartfiel said: New post: Chocolate Caramel Cookies with Sea Salt. The recipe is courtesy of @TwoPeasandPod. And it turned out great! http://bit.ly/fNz19u […]

2. Things I Should Be Doing.. « I'll Have What She's Having - December 10, 2011

[…] decide between chocolate or caramel? These Chocolate Salted Caramel Cookies from Melissa at Eyes Bigger than My Stomach mean you don’t have to […]

3. Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies | Czech in the Kitchen - April 6, 2012

[…] first found them on http://www.melissahartfiel.com/2011/02/07/chocolate-salted-caramel-cookies/  and followed the recipe to Two Peas and their Pod […]